Saturday, October 18, 2008

Holy Sh*t, we're totally in Africa

Items:

1. Ou est la grande, laide rose, et grosse-sac? Poor Big Ugly Pink (Shannon's suitcase, loaned to her by her sister--thanks Danielle!) and FatBag (Lizzie's suitcase) did not show up with the rest of the suitcases when we arrived in Johannesburg. Sob. We went to the helpful baggage dude, and our luggage decided that it liked Atlanta, and wanted to stay there for a while (I blame bitchtard, because while Lizzie and I can run, big ugly pink and fatbag can't), so our luggage should hopefully be arriving tomorrow aboard Air France. Stop kidnapping our luggage, French people!

WE SMELL SO BAD. HOW BAD? SO BAD. Sure, we both brought a spare pair of underwear or whatever, but we've been on a plane for 22 hours with that spare pair of underwear. Yikes.

2. Our driver totally schooled us. We were a little late for our pick up, because WE WERE TRYING TO FIND OUR &*^# LUGGAGE, and he had left, and had to come back, and lectured us for a good 15 minutes about how to be better on-time citizens. If he hadn't been driving on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road like a crazy person (okay, so that's how they drive down here, but I still don't trust it) and also talking on the phone while driving stick during a thunder storm, we totally would've yelled back. Right.

3. Things seem, so far, anyhow, to be excessively sexualized. There was a huge billboard by the side of the road that said "Pimp My Bride", which was showcasing a wedding ring you could buy for your fiancee. Tres Romantic, I highly recommend comparing your future wife to a prostitute, or a car you've put hydraulics in. Also, every person we've encountered has flirted excessively with us, and trust me, we look like the ass end of hard times, so it sure as hell ain't our delightful beauty that is eliciting this.

4. IT'S RAINING! WE TOT(O)ALLY BLESSED THE RAIN DOWN IN AFRICA!

Once we've been able to sleep, shower, and for the love of god, brush our teeth, there will hopefully be an exciting coriolis force post. We've already checked it out, and it is suhweet!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, glad to hear that y'all made it to Jo - berg ( even if it was with out your luggage) Ah the joys of travel, you might make the connection but your bags don't! Maybe you need to train your bags for a marathon! Sounds like a fun filled adventure so far and since you were blessed by the rain in Africa, I thought I would send you another link that should also help you sleep through the night!

Love Dad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugeztWg-RCI

Anonymous said...

See any Pandas or Tigers yet???

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm glad to know how you smelled when you arrived in Joburg, but aren't there any other weird smells you could describe? I really want to smell this experience.

Anonymous said...

Think of the lost luggage as a shopping opportunity! Maybe an umbrella.

Lauren said...

Shannon, I miss you!!! Please tell me more of what you're doing! Your blog is great, I wish I had one so I could keep you posted on what me and Seth and Lisa and the gang are up to back in the boring old US. Which mostly is just having a crappy day without you here. Please post pictures of alligators or crocodiles.

Shannon and Lizzie Go to Africa! said...

Hi Everyone! We're finally back where there's wireless, so will be posting catch up. Thanks for putting that song in my head, Dad. I'm sure Elizabeth is enjoying the sing alongs immensely! So far no tigers or Pandas, but I did see a Panda on TV, so I assume that counts. Also, I posted a picture of a crocodile for the crocodile/alligator crew. Also, part two, there will be plenty of smell discussion in the following posts, and pictures of crocodiles too. We miss all you guys, and your comments have totally made my trip!